Wednesday, February 3, 2016

February is For Lovers (and Hustlapreneurs!)

February is here! January flew by and the shortest month of the year is upon us! I'm feeling all types of good because it's February and 50 degrees in NYC! I've been praying for a California winter and He showed up!!!



Photo cred: memegenerator.net


The official day of love, Valentine's Day, is also in the month of February. It's the time to snuggle up with your significant other and shower them with love and chocolate. If you're single, it's the time to love yourself and hopefully enjoy time with people you do love. 

I want love to rule each part of my life this month, and I challenge you to do the same. How does it look when love manifests in aspects of your life? It looks like joy and happiness.

At Work

As a Hustlapreneur, there's a couple ways to show love and appreciation at work. A different kind of love than I express with my boo thang, of course. You can express love at work by making it a happier place to work. In your regular life, you're wonderful, nice and compassionate. Do you bring that same generosity and fun-loving personality to work? Try it! Being a good colleague will take you far, and it is a great way to network. Putting on a positive attitude will also make work more enjoyable for you. 

Because she's smiling at work. And WERKing it. 
In my personal life

There are plenty of resources out there to help you plan a creative Valentine's Day night out. But what about with family and friends? How can we focus on showing more love this month with them? In my last blog post, I shared my goals for 2016, including a goal to get closer to my siblings and extended family. One way I'm achieving this, is making sure I call home at least once a week. I've also planned out times when I will fly home to San Francisco. While home, I plan to do a little babysitting of my nieces and nephews. I don't have kids yet and helping my younger sister and niece with their children is an extremely helpful way to provide support and show them appreciation. With my friends, I'm doing the same thing. 

Me babysitting :) Her cheeks!!!

Like many millennials, I finished school and many of my friends dispersed all over the world. I made the move to New York, and have been here for about 3 years. I've been keeping up with them on facebook and instagram, but this month, I'm going to try calling them more and facetiming more. When I say, "we should grab drinks sometime," I'm actually going to schedule time. I love hanging out with my girlfriends and it's too easy to get caught up life and forget to take the time and show your appreciation for them. I also show love by helping them with career development, for free. Always got their back!


Finances
Yes, your finances! Showing love for your finances mean paying attention to them and making wise decisions. As millennials, we're far from retirement. However, we're at the perfect age to think strategically with our finances and purchase property, invest in businesses/projects, invest in our own professional development and more. It's also the perfect age to go out, party with friends and go on super cute dinner dates. You can do it all, but you have to be proactive and make plans for your money. I follow tips from a super helpful millennial that specializes in financial planning and making money! Check out www.amandaabella.com for resources!


Black History Month
Black History Month is every day in my life. I'm that one homegirl that will turn an annoying incident on the street into a history lesson about the fetishization of Sarah Baartman. I'm including a note about BHM because in addition to thinking about our past and honoring our ancestors, February is also a time to think about how the history has affected us today. In 2016, as I read news headlines, one thing is clear - POC must support each other and create a safe space for ourselves. The same kindness and appreciation we employ with our family and friends, we should extend to all, instead of letting these messages of hatred and intolerance influence our actions. 


WE CAN all get along! It's up to us to be the change we wish to see in the world. In February, I challenge you to step up and show love everywhere you go. I'm going to try my best! I need your help though. I'll be all over Periscope this month, sharing positive messages and I need you on with me! Follow me (at)courtney_ball6 and join our mailing list to get notifications of all my broadcasts. 


Xoxo,
Courtney 
Founder of @TheColorMeB

No comments:

Post a Comment