Saturday, March 26, 2016

Color Me Brave: Dr. Kendra Liljenquist #researchfellow #boss #womeninstem

Color Me Brave is a blog series that celebrates amazing women that are both successful in their careers and supportive towards other women trying to make it. This series was created especially for millennial women of color because I want them to see other women of color that have been in their place, walked in their shoes and persevered. Color Me Brave is full of fabulous women leaders with dynamic stories. Enjoy and join me in applauding these industry leaders. To contact our Color Me Brave leaders, please email hello@thecolormeb.com.

Kendra Liljenquist, PhD.


Color Me Brave: Where did you attend college? Graduate school?
Kendra Liljenquist: I went to undergrad at the University of San Francisco. I did my PhD at Boston university. While both universities are amazing, I think I got just as much of an education from the cities and people there. 

Color Me Brave: What do you do for a living? Where do you work?
Kendra Liljenquist: Right now I am a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Washington Medical School, in the Rehabilitation Medicine department. My research is centered on identifying ways to promote access to services for children, youth and young adults with disabilities and guarantee they are given the opportunity to pursue whatever endeavors in life they may choose. I specialize in measurement development and use when conducting needs assessments with a particular focus on ensuring the instruments we use to assess needs are accessible to individuals with differing abilities and incorporate the perspectives of people from varying cultures. Too often are the ways we measure needs and progress centered on the dominate culture, and as such, we risk doing a disservice to some of our most vulnerable populations. 




Color Me Brave: Why did you decide to take on this position? Is it part of a larger plan for you?
Kendra: I recently completed my PhD. For additionally training, early career researchers sometimes do a post-doctoral fellowship. These are usually 1-2 year appointments and allow for further training in specific areas of interest that may not have been a focus during doctoral work. I chose to do a fellowship at UW to allow me to gain more skills around statistical analyses and put together a few grants to do some local community and international work. 


My larger plan is to be in a position to work with UNICEF aiding families in accessing services in resource limited countries. I've included a link to a video that shares the work as this video more fully shows just how different resources can be... 

Color Me Brave: Are you a member of any professional organizations? If so which ones?
Kendra: During my doctoral work I served as the co-chair for the Disability Interest Group within the Society for Community Research and Action. Currently, I work with Seattle Parks and Recreation Specialized Programs and Special Olympic Washington as park of their Family Resource Team. 

Color Me Brave: What are the biggest challenges you face in your job? In your industry?
Kendra: Perhaps one of the hardest challenges is getting funding agencies to recognize the importance of and need for more culturally appropriate needs assessments and service planning. 


Many funding agencies state they uphold promoting diverse research and diverse participant pools and yet, I see so many research studies published where over 90% of participants are white, often funded by these same grant agencies. 

Color Me Brave: 
How do you overcome obstacles in the workplace?
Kendra: I think I am very fortunate to work in a field centered around helping people with differing abilities access and participate fully in life however they may choose. Because of this, I find it very easy to talk with my colleagues and mentors about any obstacles I may be facing, and they are  very open to working through any issues as well. I recognize not everyone will be in a work environment such as this but I do think one of the most important things is to be okay with seeking advice outside of work. 



Finding confidants who can help you see things from a more objective standpoint will almost always help you to be able to approach a conflict or challenge calm and rationally and often overcome it while gaining the respect of your work peers and supervisors. 

Color Me Brave: What’s something you wish you could tell your college freshman self?
Kendra: As soon as you truly stop caring about what others think is the moment your purpose in life is revealed to you. It takes work to get to a place where outside judgment can truly be tuned out, and I still struggle with it at times, but if I could tell my freshman self how excited I'd be to wake up and do what I do at 27, I think I may not have doubted myself at times along the way. 

Color Me Brave: How can women show their support for other women in the workplace?
Kendra: This may be a bit much for some places, but I work in a very open and accepting environment, so when I see women of color in any of the places I frequent with work I make a point to speak with them and learn about their career goals. I hope it shows them I am genuinely interested in what they are doing and am cheering them on. 



Color Me Brave: What do you do to relax with your girlfriends?
Kendra: I love brunch! But what millennial of color doesn't haha? I love planning brunch with my girlfriends and sharing and laughing with each other about anything from work to what the Shade Room posted. 

Color Me Brave: Anything else you want our millennial hustlapreneurs to know about you?
Kendra: Network, network, NETWORK!! I can't even say how many times I decided to strike up a conversation or write an e-mail and it ended in an amazing career opportunity. As intimidating as it may seem, most people do want to see you do well in your career endeavors so reach out, tell them you think what they do is interesting and watch the collaborations and opportunities unfold! And of course, I welcome any one who may want to chat more with me :)



For more information Color Me Brave and other CMB services, check out our website www.thecolormeb.com ! Click here to join our mailing list!

Continue reading this issue "Color Me Brave" and learn about the fabulous Diamond Gallow and entrepreneurship ...




A couple of our CMBrave honorees shared their wisdom and experiences during the #SheLeads2016 virtual conference. Our facilitators shared tips on networking, taking on leadership roles at work, self-care and more! Sign-up here and get access to interactive + fantastic workshops!

No comments:

Post a Comment